It’s not that I don’t eat meat…it’s just that I eat vegetables a whole lot more! When faced with a large quantity of zucchini, my first instinct is to make Mom’s Zucchini Pie but sometimes you just need a few favorite dish! This recipe for Baked Zucchini Boats is from yours truly and I’m so impressed with how simple it was!
- 2 large Zucchini
- 1 can Black Beans
- 1/2 -1 tsp. Tandoori Roasting blend (or favorite spice)
- Shredded Cheese
- Misto Olive Oil
- Preheat oven to 360° F and line a baking sheet with tin foil and a few spritzes of oil Misto™.
- Wash zucchini with a vegetable scrubber.
- Slice each length-wise once.
- Using a sturdy measuring spoon, scoop the inside of each zucchini into a bowl. Leave about 1/4 inch from the edge.
- Using an electric chopper (or potato masher), pulse zucchini flesh until finely minced.
- With a strainer, push out the excess fluid.
- Pour rinsed black beans into bowl with mash and stir to combine.
- Add some bread crumbs to thicken the mixture. You will have to eye this – Goldilocks style – not too wet and not too dry! Stir mixture again.
- Add 1-2 medium pinches of shredded cheese. You’ll be adding more before baking.
- Sprinkle 1/2 – 1 teaspoon of Tandoori Roasting Blend seasoning and stir again.
- Scoop mixture back into each zucchini boat. There should be exactly enough for all 4 zucchini boats.
- Top each boat with more shredded cheese.
- Bake, loosely covered with tin foil, at 360° F for 20 minutes.
- Then, uncover and bake at 375° F for about 15 minutes more.
Zucchini boats should be tender with a slight firmness. Serves 2-4 people.
Hope you enjoy!
Your zucchini boats look absolutely fantastic. You’ve managed to hollow them out so perfectly! And I’m loving the addition of black bean to the mix – that’s definitely one for next time! If you have a minute, I’d love your thoughts on my stuffed veggies 🙂 http://goodfoodmarsh.wordpress.com/2014/08/31/les-petits-legumes-farcis/
Thanks so much, goodfoodmarsh! Stainless steel measuring spoons are truly the way to go with this hollowing and beans are a great addition for some protein too..keeping it kinda healthy!! 😉 I’m heading over to yours right now!
LikeLiked by 1 person